Saturday, February 2, 2013

What Are Your Dreams?

This year I've been making a point of actually pursuing my dreams - I was inspired by this well-known quote by T. E. Lawrence:
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
2013 is a year of possibilities. It's not easy (rewarding experiences seldom are), but I'm facing my fears every day and making progress as I act on my dreams. From little things like learning to knit, and singing karaoke, to big things like writing a book, completing a Tough Mudder obstacle course, and - the ultimate goal - Broadway.

We're only a month into the year and I already feel like a happier, more accomplished version of myself. Weird. I've only done two or three things off my list so far - but it may as well be 100. Why? Because for the first time in a long time - the possibilities are more than wishful thinking. I'm free to dream with the knowledge that there's a good chance I'll accomplish these tasks one day. Maybe it's the fact that I'm beginning to believe in myself again. Whatever it is - it is changing my life for the better and, hopefully, for good.

All this talk of dreams and thinking about my future reminded me of the song "Like Everyone Else" from Sideshow. In this number, Terry asks Violet and Daisy (Siamese twins), "What are your dreams? What are you longing for?" and they respond with conflicting answers: Violet wants a serene, quiet life & Daisy wants fame and fortune. "The same as everyone wants ... We want what everyone wants."



What are your dreams? What are you longing for?
Is there one thing you can do this month to start fulfilling that dream?

In case you're wondering: I'm going to be learning how to tap dance this month - (sorry neighbors) - and organizing my room. Maybe I'll go crazy and learn how to knit, but I make no guarantees!

No comments:

Post a Comment